Wednesday, December 20, 2006

December Metros

There's an excuse for the lack of updates lately: Metro's been really bad at keeping issues posted to their site, so I figured I'd wait it out and see if they ever posted any of the missing ones. They haven't, so I'll include links where I can and otherwise just mention what's been done.

On Dec. 4 (not posted), there was my interview with subversive punk-turned-Elvis impersonator-but-still-really-a-subversive punk El Vez, prior to his Mexican Merry Mex-mas show at World Cafe, which was a blast.

Dec. 6 (not posted) had a really fun interview with Nerdcore rapper and occasional cartoon character MC Chris, which I may post here in its entirety. Lots of entertaining bitching about his brief and miserable time living in South Philly.

Dec. 8 (yet again, not posted) had three pieces: an interview with Philly singer/songwriter Cynthia G. Mason; a piece on the new experimental music and dance troupe Perpetual Mvmt<>Snd and their revival of the Rashomon Effect, a round-robin improv score inspired by the Kurosawa film; and one on Lunacy, the latest Jan Svankmajer film, which played at International House.

Dec. 15 (hey, this one's actually online) had two local experimental shows: Friday's rendition of John Zorn's Cobra, led by trombonist Daniel Blacksberg (pg. 25); and Dark Forces Swing Blind Punches, a ten-band fest of brutal prog at the Avant gentleman's Lodge, which I'll also be reviewing for Signal To Noise (speaking of which, my review of local saxophonist Seth Meicht's two new releases is in this month's issue).

No comments: